Thursday 18 August 2016

Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything 
Nicola Yoon
Young Adult, Fiction
Rating: 7.5/10

“You will find and loose yourself in this artistically unique and adorable heart – tugging romantic battle. Yoon cleanly executed a forbidden romance like none other.“
– breeinbookland

Everything Everything is a novel about a girl named Madeline who is suffering from SCID. . . Also known as "bubble boy syndrome". Madeline has spent the last 18 years trapped inside her house. The only people she comes in contact with are her nurse Carla and her mother. That is until Olly moves in next door.

Yoon skilfully built up character development that easily made reading this coming of age story fun and engaging from her lovable character Madeline. 
 The relationship between these characters was incredibly intense and forbidden- which made this character build up better with every turn of a page. Every character in this novel is precisely defined by very different and, unique characteristics that make you instantly love them- even the ones you’re not necessarily supposed to. And I can say for certain that I definitely fell in love with Olly just as quick as Madeline did. “Spoiler Alert: Boys are savages”

The writing style in this YA novel is very unique and quite often uses graphs, pictures and even email conversations between the characters. I find using many media forms like this in a novel keeps it entertaining and intriguing for the reader. This also shows a creative writing style of the author. I love when a story can be told through text messages or pictures just as much as I love a story through words. This is a very effective way to keep readers interest and be unique all at once. 

However, pictures and graphs were not the end of the line for the creativity and uniqueness that enchants this novel. No. Yoon also incorporated quotes from popular real life fiction novels at the beginning of many chapters and related it to the struggles of her main character.
These quotes in the novel were identified as “SPOILER REVIEWS BY MADELINE” that were scattered at the beginning of most chapters. This was a great way for Yoon to connect her novel with other existing novels at the same time her character connected the novel she was reading to what she was going though. Did that make sense? I just love that idea.

Overall, I can easily say that I recommend this novel to any YA romance lover who loves a bit of an emotional roller coaster. There are so many beautiful illustrations and the dialogue is humorous; why would you pass this one up? I devoured this in one easy sitting and I can whole heartily say that Nicola Yoon did an amazing job for her first novel and I will be purchasing and also devouring her second one novel ‘The Sun Is Also a Star’.


Back Of The Novel Synopsis

“MY DISEASE IS AS RARE as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house; have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Clara.
But then on day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window; and I see him. He’s tall, lean, and wearing all black – black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.
Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly, It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.”






No comments:

Post a Comment