Thursday 25 August 2016

Anatomy of a Misfit

Anatomy of a Misfit
Andrea Portes
Young Adult Contemporary, Fiction
Rating: 9/10
*May include spoilers*

“It pulls on your heart strings, and then breaks it. Then steps on the broken heart pieces and leaves them on the ground to burn in the sun and shrivel up like raisins. And ew, because who likes raisins? “ – breeinbookland

Beware, I’m not a very technical book reviewer when I actually love the book, I’m less critical. I don’t see as many flaws. But I didn’t expect to like this novel as much as I did. Through reading Anatomy of a Misfit I was almost 90% sure I was going to give it a shitty rating. Until the last couple chapters, this obviously took me, and many other readers off guard.
This book made me cry.
I can’t even explain how emotionally damaged I am after finishing this novel.
It was just so good. I got so into it- after a couple chapter or so... maybe a bit more. But I got so caught up in the drama, relationships and the lies.
It was beautifully dark, dramatic and hilarious.
The novel did exaggerate and stereotype the typical teenager a little too much for my liking.  . .  Also, this is not a book for everyone, if racial slurs, slut- shaming, and profanity of any kind ruin books for you; this is not your read. It uses Gay as an insult. You have been warned. I was not so fond of it myself, but I moved on.

I would definitely recommend Anatomy of a Misfit to anybody; hands down.
Anatomy of a Misfit is about a fifteen year old high school student just trying to fit in and stay in the “popular” crowd. To do this she sacrifices what she really wants in life so that she doesn’t have to go through the hell Becky, the most popular and bitchiest girl in school, would destroy her with. Really, it’s a life lesson. Being popular in high school really doesn’t matter. It won’t matter when you’re out of high school. It won’t matter when you’re off at college. It won’t matter when you’re eighty or ninety years old laying on your deathbed. The premise of this novel . . .  The purpose of this novel is to say, and quite literally that: you get one chance; this life is all you get, so you need to make the most of it.

“This moment here.
This is all you get.
Before you are part of the sky.” – Anatomy of a Misfit, pg 328.

I think this novel did a really great job at tackling really stressful moments in a teenager’s high school career and bring them to life with the characters. Every point that Andrea was trying to get across to the reader was crystal clear. Every word had a meaning. Every foreshadow. Every stone that was laid down created a path that lead somewhere. It all meant something. There was always a lesson. A rhyme to Anika’s spider stew madness. Speaking of Anika. Her internal monologue was dark yet hysterical. Maybe it was all of the Star Wars references that got me but I found Anika’s character very likable, from the her very first rant about Logan becoming hot being “totally illegal.” However I do wish there was a little more time dedicated to building more of a foundation to Anika and Logan’s relationship.

This novel dealt with a ridiculous amount of real world problems like racism, sexism, bullying, suicide, and just simple first world teenage problems (boys, insecurities, friendships, the list could go on forever.) These things made the novel super entertaining and super duper relatable, to almost anybody. It would be impossible for a single person to pick up this novel and NOT relate to it in one shape or form. Impossible.

Yet again, I cannot stress enough. This was such a great novel. It was a quick and easy read, with many amazing premises. Andrea Portes created a mysterious and romantic hero that I swear you will fall spine over page for and a heroine that struggles to make all of the right decisions. If Anika’s spider stew doesn’t pull you in, you have no humor. If Logan’s secrets don’t make you cry, you have no heart. And if Becky’s attitude doesn’t make you cringe, well then I don’t want to say any R- rated words. My point is, the drama and heartache draws you in like a lasso. It pulls on your heart strings, and then breaks it. Then steps on the broken heart pieces and leaves them on the ground to burn in the sun and shrivel up like raisins. And ew, because who likes raisins? 

Anyway, I’m getting a bit off topic. My point, again, is that Anatomy of a Misfit is a great YA/contemporary kind of read. I recommend it if you can get your hands on it. I will definitely be reading it again, multiple times. And now more of Andrea Portes books like: The Fall of Butterflies, will be on my ‘to read’ list.

Back of the Novel Synopsis:
Spider stew. That’s what Anika is made of. But she keeps it under wraps- one step out of line and Becky Vilhauler, first most popular girl in school, will make her life a living hell. So when former loner Logan McDonough shows up one September hotter, smarter, and more mysterious than ever, Anika knows that she can’t get involved. It would be insane to throw away her social safety for a nerd. So what if that nerd is now a black-leather-jacket-wearing dreamboat and his loner status is clearly the result of his troubled home life?
Logan. Who needs him when Jared Kline, the bad boy every girl dreams of, is asking her on dates?


Follow Me On: 
Instagram: breeinbookland
YouTube: BreeInBookland 
Twitter: briannaotis_
Goodreads: breeinbookalnd



No comments:

Post a Comment