Wednesday 31 August 2016

Black Ice

Black Ice
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Genres: Young Adult, Mystery, Survival, Romance
Rating: 5/10 – On the fence with this one, sorry.

This novel is almost too complicated to review, let alone talk about.
I literally had to draw out pictures and diagrams to explain the events that occur in this dark, survival story to my friend. It’s just that complicated.
I suck with ratings. I really don’t know a good honest rating to give this novel. . .  I really like it, but I feel like it wasn’t written . . . perfectly. I mean I know nothing is perfect but I feel like some things could have been done differently, but it’s that way with so so so many other novels, not just this on in particular. Anyway, so I’m sitting on the fence for this one with a 5/10. Deal with it. 
Okay, so cut my cruddy babbling and onto my cruddy review!

Black Ice is a romantic story about trust, survival, and murder. Yes murder; beautiful bloody murder. It was quite fantastic actually; I had never read a young adult romance with so much murder and death. Don’t get me wrong, I know for a fact that there are many, upon thousands of fictional novels with romance and murder, I just had never read one before. Ever. Until now. Hence why I am chilling on the fence with this one.
So practically, this novel in short explanation is about the main character, Britt, whom goes hiking in the Grand Tentons with her ex-boyfriend Calvin. They run into some unexpected trouble when Britt gets caught in a blizzard, get taken hostage by two attractive fugitives, finds evidence from local murders, and learns whom to trust and whom to love.
There is quite a bit that takes place in this novel for how short it is. It’s a great stand alone novel. All of the characters have incredibly diverse personalities and problems that they are each so desperately trying to sort out, and this story is really just a constant flow of problems to be overcome, with a (in my opinion) expected and strangely cute romance tying the whole plot together. That’s just my opinion though. Really anything your reading right now is entirely my opinion so, whatever.

I really wasn’t sure if I was insane for enjoying the romance portion of this novel, considering the circumstance, and I won’t get into grave detail, but it was oddly entertaining, and honestly I didn’t know what to believe while reading it, there were so many lies being tossed around from page to page by each character. Does that even that makes sense? Just read it and it will. I think. Probably not though, I don’t make sense about 99% of the time.

If there’s anything unique to point out about this novel it’s definitely the very first chapter, before Britt is introduced.
(Possible spoilers)
(Crappy warning sorry)
It basically foreshadows some important discoveries of Britt’s later on in the novel, and it was really fun to try and connect the dots of the murders before Britt did.
So yea, this was not a super serious review, probably because I read this novel a while ago and I’m still really not sure how I feel about it. Black Ice was a good quick read and first mystery- murder novel. I can’t really say anything incredibly terribly or awesome about it. It was just a good read. Black Ice didn’t exactly have a great premise or lesson that was trying to be told, just an entertaining plot and characters.

Back of the Novel Synopsis:
Sometimes danger is herd to see . . . Until it’s too late.
Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn’t prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin and accept the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants- but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage.
In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. Things get even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that took place on that very mountain- a discovery that may maker her the killer’s next target.
But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnapers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy or an ally?

Anyway, sorry this isn't a super serious review. I'm working on a new Blog with Wix and I'm trying to make the new one look a little less bland then this one :3 My new Blog will still be called breeinbookland, so there's no confusion (if you even care) anyway, again. Seeya!

C O N T A C T:

S O C I A L   M E D I A:
Instagram: breeinbookland
YouTube: BreeInBookland
Goodreads: BreeInBookland ( or Brianna Otis)





No comments:

Post a Comment